Thursday, January 17, 2008

I'm No Longer The Endurence Athlete of Note in the House

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later. My wife, Becky, who has through her life has achieved goal that I would only dare to dream, has done it again! While I was trying out for the JV LaCrosse team in highschool, she was winning a gold medal in the first ever female amature hockey tournament hosted in Russia. Well I was recovering from my crash she One-upped me again, she is now the first member of the house to hold a medal for the completion of a marathon.
Some may be jealous of this fact, but I could not be more proud! Even though I could never understand what would posses a person to go out and run 26.2 miles (unless you are finishing an Ironman) her efforts and stellar performance has inspired even me - the marathon cynic.
Although I'm sure that Becky will argue a couple of the finer points of this story, here are the details as best I can relate them.
Although I would like to say that my recent commitment to Ironman was the driving force behind her Herculean effort (she likes to joke that she got tired of coming to my races and not having a response for the "What are you training for?" question) the real truth is that she has wanted to run a marathon for as long s I have known her. In fact she thought that she had nipped it in the bud, but last yaer her cousin ran the Disney Marathon and the dim candle of desire began to burn brightly once again.
Much to her credit, and my dismay, she planned, researched, trained, and implemented what turned out to be a near flawless marathon plan pretty much all by herself.
Back to the race - The day at Disney was perfect. Early, but perfect. We rose at 2:30am and get tot the start just in time for a cup of java and a long wait it the line for the restroom. After that I said good-bye with eh promise that I would see her on the course as much as I could and the race was on!
I saw her at mile nine and it was all smiles. I was so excited that I didn't even get a picture. Then at mile 13 and still smiles as the pictures prove. I jumped on the Disney transit to mile 23 and she was still smiling, but rumors have it that she was really hurting by this point. I tried to beat her to the finish but the call from her parents at mile 26 reveled that I would only catch her in the recovery area.
Still all smiles and sporting a Mouse Ears Medal that would make Flava Falve she was officially a Marathoner and had such a great race that she is even thinking about doing another one - maybe in 2010.

As for me things are good. I've been moved and inspired by my wife once again and the good thing is that in all this marathon madness I was given the OK to start to train again.
Look out for more food, some gear projects and maybe even some how-to's.

Later

1 comment:

Kate said...

I just wanted to say congrats to Becky on her Disney Marathon finish. I've done either the half or the full for eight or so years and each year has been wonderful. The venue is great, I love the characters that come out to high-five you, and everybody is always so daggone happy in Mouse Land. Congrats, Becky!
Kate